Building a Home in Central Oregon? What You Need to Know Before You Start
At one time or another, most people have imagined building a custom home. They imagine relaxing in the huge spa-like master bathroom or entertaining by the outdoor fireplace overlooking the spectacular mountain view; but to achieve this goal, there are many steps which must take place first. The process might seem confusing, but the truth is, when understood and taken in the proper order, building a home can be a rewarding experience which results in the ideal home.
Buy vs Build
The first step in any building project is to ensure it’s the right step for you and your family in the first place. Building a home takes time and patience. There are some great benefits to building a home rather than buying an existing home. Not only do you have control over the design and style of the new home, but you might also find a lower cost of ownership once you move-in. Everything is brand new; from appliances to heating, plumbing, electrical systems, home maintenance costs will be at their lowest point. New builds also can take advantage of energy-saving products and materials which can have a serious impact on utility costs.
One of the first concerns should be time and cost. Estimating these factors will be one of the first things you should discuss with your real estate/building team and will vary widely based on location, materials and personalization. Once you have a budget in mind, then you are ready to begin the home building process.
- Assemble Your Team – Your home building team will include a select group of professionals experienced with custom home building projects. They will include a real estate agent, home builder and construction loan lender. You will rely on their advice throughout the process.
- Location and Lifestyle – Location is more than simply a lot with a view. Lifestyle issues such as school districts, community services, ease of access to transportation are still important. In addition, other considerations include the local jurisdiction, topography and lot layout to ensure your home vision can be achieved on that property.
- Design The Home – This is the fun part. Working with your home building team, you will determine the size, layout, floorplan, fixtures and finishes for your new home.
- Construction Review – This is the most important step. Your professionals will package the project and submit for review. During the review process, they city/county will approve the home location, placement, building materials, design, water needs and much more. It’s important to work with a team familiar with this process and how to successfully navigate the process.
- Final Cost Estimate and Loans – Once your plans are approved, you will be able to receive a final cost estimate, including any changes which happened during the approval process. If you are using construction financing, your lender will now place the construction loan in effect and offer the payout schedule.
- Construction and Final Approval – Construction of the new home will now take place. Your general contractor will be in communication with you along the way to ensure deadlines, cost estimates and details are completed to your satisfaction and plan. Once the construction is complete, the city/county inspectors will join you to approve the final product.
Building a home from the ground up can be exciting. The first step is to assemble a team of experts who can answer all your questions and help guide you through the process. With home values rising on average 5% in 2018, building a home can be a cost effective alternative to rising home prices.